Google Confirms Rumors on Photos, Streams Products
The Google+ services we’ve been using are changing direction soon.
“Starting today, the photos and videos you keep in Google+ photos will also be available in Google Drive.” Update for Google+ Photos & Drive* March 30, 2015
You can view and manage your photos and videos in both Google+ and Google Drive… choose to create a Google Photos folder in your “My Drive“, which will allow you to organize into folders. And don’t worry– photos that you can see in both Google+ and Drive only count once towards your storage limit.
If you delete photos or videos from Google Drive, they will also be deleted from Google+. If you delete photos or videos from Google+, they will also be deleted from Google Drive.
Note: If you edit a photo in Google+, your edits will only appear in the photo in Google+, not in the photo saved in your Drive folder. To have the edited photo appear in your Drive folder, download the edited photo in Google+ and upload it to your Drive folder.
You’ll see your photos and videos from Google+ in Google Drive, including those that were automatically backed up if you have Auto Backup turned on. From here, you can print, share, download, and rename your photos. Learn how
(Help Center) Josh Hudgins, Product Manager, Google Drive
Google+ is currently 1 big stop, but the company wants to break it down into 3:
- Photos (Data Bank)
- Communications [Hangouts]
- Google+ stream (Newsfeed)
Building great services for people is what they’re after and they will:
- Invest more in the Hangout platform + revamp it.
- Polish up its Photos app, complete with editing and sharing options.
So the real story is that Google+ is NOT DYING
You should still be spending time developing a presence there. However, don’t be surprised if the name of Google+ gets re-branded as “Google’s Photos and Streams.”
“Just wanted to confirm that the rumors are true — I’m excited to be running Google’s Photos and Streams products!” Horowitz wrote on his Google+ account. “It’s important to me that these changes are properly understood to be positive improvements to both our products and how they reach users.” Bradley Horowitz, vice president of Google Photos and Streams.
By splitting up Google+ into parts, Google might get out from the weakened Google+ brand. Photos and communications are big standalone. Prepare to see them evolve as they keep looking for ways to deliver the best content to users
Some consider Google+ a failure because it’s not surpassed Facebook, like Google had hoped. BUT – remember that Google+ has over 300 million members, and deposited an invaluable source of data on real people to Google. That is NO failure.
We’re hearing from a variety of sources that Google+ will no longer be considered a product, but a platform. For the entrepreneur, does this really matter? I suppose it’s good that the competition with other social networks like Facebook and Twitter will stop.
The fact is that Google+ can’t compete with Facebook in the social arena. Neither can Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Snapchat, Vine,etc… That doesn’t mean that they are failures.
DID YOU HEAR?
A HUGE benefit of using Google+ is the SEO
When one circles you on Google+, your content will assuredly appear higher in their search results. Stop and think about that and the value it brings to your business. If a person has +1’d your content, that content is more likely to rank higher in their searches as well.
- Google+ posts get indexed and rank very well within Google’s search results
- Google considers the number of +1s to be most influential in determining ranking order
- Very much continue investing in Google+ for SEO and marketing purposes.
So, what’s up with Google+?
- A Separate Google Hangouts app. To open Hangout on Air and use any of the social features, you need to have a Google+ account. The separate app makes it easier for people to participate with Google Hangouts. Score this as a win for Google.
- Photos – done in a way that helps drive more attention & traffic to Google+.
- A small number of features were released in the last year “In six months to a year’s time we’ll start seeing some aspects of what we’re doing embedded in Google Plus, natural language and maybe some recommendation systems.”
- Personalization is very important to Google. While logged into their account, those who have you in their circles will see you move up in their search results at 60-70-% increase. Huge numbers that put YOU in front of your target market.
You can believe with confidence that if you:
- Are active on Google+
- Regularly create useful content on Google+
- Optimize for what your target market is searching for
- Attract the right people to follow you on Google+.
You will be front and center in searches for things relevant to you and your brand!
- Google uses information it learns about you through your use of Google+.
- Google tailor search results for you to more closely meet your preferences.
- Google learns this each time you click a +1 button on a website or a Google+ post.
So, my question to you is this: Are YOU ACTIVE on Google+?
If you are not, you are missing HUGE opportunities for your business.